Foreign Students

Gutenberg College has welcomed international students since its founding. However, the process of studying in the United States can be logistically and financially complex.

A general overview of what is involved for an international student to study at a college or university in the United States is available at:

Student Visa and Form I-20

International students who wish to study at Gutenberg College will need to obtain an F-1 Student Visa, which requires Form I-20 issued by Gutenberg College as your visa sponsor. For more information on applying for an F-1 Student Visa, go to:

To receive Form I-20 from Gutenberg College, you must meet our requirements for admission and provide evidence of sufficient financial resources to study and live in Eugene, Oregon, for one academic year.

Financial documentation may include a personal bank statement from the student and/or family who may be supporting the student financially, scholarship, government educational loan, or an Affidavit of Support.

An Affidavit of Support is signed by an individual, usually a relative, who is committed to accepting financial responsibility for the international student’s study abroad. The person who signs the Affidavit of Support then becomes the student’s financial sponsor. An Affidavit of Support is legally enforceable. The sponsor’s responsibility lasts until the student either completes the degree or submits new evidence of financial support other than the sponsor. An Affidavit of Support must include the name and birthdate of the student, dates of study at Gutenberg College, and a statement agreeing to fund the student’s tuition, fees, and living expenses for one academic year. The Affidavit of Support must be signed and dated by the sponsor, and a bank statement or evidence of financial solvency must be included with the signed Affidavit of Support.

Working While Enrolled at Gutenberg College

U.S. Law limits the amount and nature of work that an international student may do in the United States during his or her degree program. During an initial period as an international student in the United States, students may only work a limited number of hours on the campus of the college in which they are enrolled. International students who anticipate needing to work in the United States during the course of their degree program should carefully read the “Study in the States” portion of the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security website:

Due to Gutenberg College’s small size, on-campus working opportunities are extremely limited. Given limited on-campus working opportunities, an international student who wants to enroll in Gutenberg College will need to provide evidence to the College in the form of official documentation that he or she has the necessary financial resources to complete the first year of the program without having to work in the United States should on-campus work be unavailable.

After the initial period of study in the United States, students have the opportunity to work off-campus, but off-campus working opportunities are also limited. For more information about the eligibility to work off-campus, go to

Order of Application:

  1. Apply to Gutenberg College. If accepted, Gutenberg will issue an official letter of acceptance.
  2. If financial documentation is acceptable, Gutenberg College can issue the Form 1-20.
  3. Apply for F-1 Student Visa at nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.