International Students

Gutenberg College has welcomed international students since its founding. However, the process of studying in the United States can be logistically and financially complex.

A general overview of what is involved for an international student to study at a college or university in the United States is available at:

Order of Application for International Students:

  1. The student should apply to Gutenberg College. If accepted, Gutenberg will issue an official letter of acceptance.
  2. The student should provide Gutenberg College with financial documentation that proves that the student has sufficient resources to live in the U.S. without a job for one academic year. If financial documents are acceptable, Gutenberg College can issue the Form 1-20 to the student.
  3. Once the student receives Form 1-20, the student can then apply for a F-1 Student Visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Student Visa and Form I-20

International students who wish to study at Gutenberg College will need to obtain an F-1 Student Visa, which requires Form I-20 issued by Gutenberg College as your visa sponsor. For more information on applying for an F-1 Student Visa, go to:

To receive Form I-20 from Gutenberg College, you must meet our requirements for admission and provide evidence of sufficient financial resources to study and live in Eugene, Oregon, for one academic year.

Financial documentation may include a personal bank statement from the student and/or family who may be supporting the student financially, scholarship, government educational loan, or an Affidavit of Support.

An Affidavit of Support is signed by an individual, usually a relative, who is committed to accepting financial responsibility for the international student’s study abroad. The person who signs the Affidavit of Support then becomes the student’s financial sponsor. An Affidavit of Support is legally enforceable. The sponsor’s responsibility lasts until the student either completes the degree or submits new evidence of financial support other than the sponsor. An Affidavit of Support must include the name and birthdate of the student, dates of study at Gutenberg College, and a statement agreeing to fund the student’s tuition, fees, and living expenses for one academic year. The Affidavit of Support must be signed and dated by the sponsor, and a bank statement or evidence of financial solvency must be included with the signed Affidavit of Support.

Working While Enrolled at Gutenberg College

U.S. Law limits the amount and nature of work that an international student may do in the United States during his or her degree program. During an initial period as an international student in the United States, students may only work a limited number of hours on the campus of the college in which they are enrolled. International students who anticipate needing to work in the United States during the course of their degree program should carefully read the “Study in the States” portion of the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security website:

Due to Gutenberg College’s small size, on-campus working opportunities are extremely limited. Given limited on-campus working opportunities, an international student who wants to enroll in Gutenberg College will need to provide evidence to the College in the form of official documentation that he or she has the necessary financial resources to complete the first year of the program without having to work in the United States should on-campus work be unavailable.

After the initial period of study in the United States, students have the opportunity to work off-campus, but off-campus working opportunities are also limited. For more information about the eligibility to work off-campus, go to

English Language Requirement

Applicants whose native language is other than English must achieve either a score of at least 570 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and 4.5 on the Test of Written English (TWE), or a score on the computer-based TOEFL of at least 24 on the Reading part of the test and  27 on the Writing part of the test with a 4.5 minimum on the essay portion of the exam. If electing the paper-based TOEFL/TWE, students should apply to take the exam at least three months prior to the date that test results are needed for submission to the College. Arrangements should be made by the applicant directly with Educational Testing Service by contacting the TOEFL Application Office, Educational Testing Service ( Applicants from other countries who must take the TOEFL and TWE must request that the results be sent directly to our office. Applicants may also be subject to a personal or telephone interview at the discretion of our Admissions Committee.