- Post-doctoral research assistant, University of Oregon, 1994-2001
- Ph.D., Physics; University of Oregon, 1992
- M.S., Physics; University of Oregon, 1987
- B.S., Physics and Math; Westmont College, 1986
- President of Gutenberg College
- Tutor, Gutenberg College, 1994-present
Chris Swanson, president and tutor at Gutenberg, was one of the men who began planning Gutenberg College a few years before it opened in 1994. Prior to that he taught at the University of Oregon, Northwest Christian College, and Westmont College (his alma mater). He became Gutenberg College’s second president in 2016.
Chris believes that Gutenberg’s discussion-based approach helps students to retain far more of the material than do other teaching methods. He also values the Christian commitment shared by the faculty because it provides a forum for pursuing truth as students form their worldview. Chris primarily teaches mathematics and the sciences, but he also greatly enjoys tutoring in areas such as philosophy and literature.
Chris and his wife, Cynthia, are blessed with three children, two sons and a daughter. They homeschooled their two sons, both of whom went on to graduate from Gutenberg, and they homeschooled their daughter. All the Swansons share an addiction to Chris’s excellent homemade pizza.